Pages

Friday, February 1, 2013

Cinderella Syndrome


I am 33 years old. I am single. I am normal(ish). I am happy. Yes, you read all that correctly. No typos. No missing "not".

I love people and yep, I love men... a lot and for a lot of reasons.  What?   I'm human. I'm female. 

That being said, I remain confident that I can have (and do have!) a fulfilling, fun, and love-filled life as a single person. I'm not finding a lot of single adults in this category and that is what worries me.


I've learned not to be offended when people assume I am married and make the quick, furtive glance to my left hand in search of a diamond. I'm okay with that. Though, it was a process to get to here.

In reaching this point, I have not lost my appreciation for romance, relationships, and marriage, but I do not assume or hope for some Grizzly Adams or Prince Charming (depending on your type!) who will make my life complete and perfect and blissful. 

If we are single or married, life is tough and beautiful. It is a gift to be lived to the fullest with meaningful relationships and appreciation of creation around us - regardless what box we check for "relationship status".  

Oh, I want to write so much more on this. Specifically in regards to "singlism" (the stigmatizing of adults who are single) and how that influences women (and men) who do not have a wedding band accessorizing their ring finger. 

Our society, churches, and culture (thinking West Michigan, right now) do not positively contribute to a happy, convenient, single lifestyle. 

Silly, but real example: Take a few minutes and look through your most recent coupon book or flier. Compare the "Buy one, Get one" to the "10% off" coupons. Yep, the buy one, get ones win! I don't use two-thirds (and more!) of the coupons I receive and want to use because I dine, sip coffee, or attend galleries, shows and museums alone... and like it. 

I'll return to this in a later post. I'm not bitter, don't worry. Just ruminating and thinking and writing (and procrastinating from literature homework).

No comments:

Post a Comment