Pages

Friday, February 8, 2013

I Met a Guy

I know exactly what you are thinking. It's your first reaction, as it would be mine.

"Who is he? Is he single?"

If you are the kind not to pry out loud, this banner of questions is running through your mind.

And that's okay. Or... is it?

Can I meet a guy, tell you about how intriguing, or unusual, or intellectual, or athletic (etc.) he is and not need to preface the rest of the story with his relationship status or potential for coupling?

Mine is a question of curiosity more than anything. I was this (holding thumb and forefinger very, very close together) to posting "I met a guy" on Facebook and leave it to my friends to comment in their suspense, thus supporting my theory of "first question response".

I didn't for two reasons:

1) It's not fair to those who think I will have found my potential complete happiness in locating this fellow because surely he's single, otherwise why would I bother posting (or befriending him, for that matter). And I didn't want to have to explain that it was a silly experiment and in so doing, let them down.

2) I know the answer. A Facebook friend (single, female, late 30's) posted about an exciting weekend, which included spending time with her "man". Clearly this was the first time that she made public any kind of "man" because the excited, enthusiastic, and demanding-more-info comments filled up my home page.

There is no bitterness in my tone, don't worry. It's just a post of awareness and realization. I would wonder and want to ask the same questions. I would be excited with a friend who is just on the cusp of "love" and possible partnership. I love that stuff..

I write because of the societal expectations that are revealed in this simple declaration of "meeting a guy".



And now your curious!

No comments:

Post a Comment