Pages

Saturday, February 9, 2013

"I know what sex is."

It's the type of sentence that never comes at an appropriate time and when voiced has you quickly thinking how to redirect that child's attention. 

Particularly in this setting.

Orlando was my seven year old charge during a weekly afternoon tutoring program. We were struggling through math problems and I was usually appreciative for an escape from the work. Not this time. 

He was rather proud of himself. Firstly, for knowing about such an adult topic and secondly, for being able to capture the full attention of both me and the 4th grade girl sitting at our table. 

I told Orlando that it is important to know what sex is, but now was not the time to talk about it. Seeing the smirk on the face of 4th grade girl and being told that he shouldn't continue he, of course, continued.

"Sex is a man and a woman..." At which moment, I sternly interrupted him saying, "Orlando, that's enough." Ah, but you know the resoluteness of children. He repeated himself, "Sex is a man and a woman." Full stop. "That is what sex is, a man and a woman." 


Huge sigh of relief. 

My young Orlando understood "sex" as "gender". 
I did not correct or clarify.

Back to Mathematics...

No comments:

Post a Comment