Pages

Saturday, December 28, 2013

2013 Year in Review

I welcomed in the 2013 New Year laughing with and enjoying the company of good friends in the hills of North Carolina. On the trek south I had a wonderful visit with my aunt and uncle in Indiana and the journey back allowed me to call in on my cousin and her family in Kentucky.

In January, I resumed a rather heavy load of undergrad classes which proved to be thought provoking and entertaining. My field of study was English where for 4 months I lived and breathed Shakespeare’s A Tempest and the Hunger Games Trilogy, among other works and topics.

The New Year also brought with it a new vigor for running. December 1st, I registered for my second half-marathon taking place on April 13 thinking by then Michigan would be entering its beautiful spring weather phase. Snow, sleet and wind on that day proved otherwise. Undeterred, I ran this race and many more in the months following, picking up a few enthusiastic running buddies along the way.  

It was a delight beyond words to return to Prague in May to celebrate the completion of service of Denise and Keith Jones after 15 years as Rector at the International Baptist Theological Seminary. This was my first visit after leaving Prague in February 2010, and it was a rich and meaningful time with dear friends. 

I completed my undergrad courses in April and in May began taking classes full-time in the Graduate Teacher Certification (GTC) program at Grand Valley State University. Throughout the summer I had an intensive schedule of classes which were interesting and challenging.

My summer was full of fun and small adventures. I did a lot of running, some biking, and a bit of camping. Alongside of my school responsibilities, I continued work as Director of Children and Family Ministries at Grandville United Methodist Church.

This fall I entered my first elementary classroom to begin Teaching Assisting and (starting January 2014) Student Teaching. I have fallen in love with twenty-three 3rd graders and look forward to my own class in the future.

An unexpected highlight of 2013 was a weekend in Florida! A family who has become good friends and I spent an early weekend of November not only in Florida, but in Disney World. We didn’t just run around the parks, but we ran through the parks for the Wine & Dine Half-Marathon. I felt like a little kid and loved it!

My 2013 was not laden with so many changes as 2012, for which I am thankful. This was a year of settling-in and carrying-on in new routines and environments. As best I could, I kept my head in the books, my feet on the ground, and my heart stayed on what was important.

I wish for each of you that 2014 will be full of adventures, peace and laughter; and that you will experience God’s love in amazing ways.

Have a joyous holiday season! 
~ Vanessa

No comments:

Post a Comment