Pages

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Here's the church, Here's the steeple.

10.30 am, this morning found me sitting on the padded pew of a new church for me in Grandville, Michigan.

I agreed with and appreciated the minister's message more than I thought I would. He spoke rather slow which I first found annoying, but then came to the conclusion that as 82% of the congregation were born before 1945, his pace of speaking was appropriate.

As he continued, I also positively realised that his slow speech allowed me to reflect more on what he was saying...and daydream more. (Come on, be honest, you do too!)

The lady (born after 1945) responsible for the children and youth gave a little talk, but could use a little spark under her dupa to be a bit more engaging. Though I was happy to see that had a time focused on the little cherubs.

Next to me, Bill (born before 1945) had a very warm handshake and smiling eyes. It was a pleasant welcome to my first Grandville church visit.

Before exiting the church, I bought some cinnamon rolls to support the youth summer mission trip (the rolls have since vanished). I stood near the minister whilst he greeted parishioners as they left. The poor fellow was chastened by an elderly woman for the sermon not being what she expected and hoped for on Mother's Day.

I've been a part of three amazing and very unique churches - Holland, Michigan; Oak Park, Illinois; and Prague, Czech Republic - which have throughout my Christian journey guided, taught and encouraged me at very significant points. With warmth and thanksgiving I look back on them all and I'm eager to find and participate in another little family. In Grandville there are many!

No comments:

Post a Comment