Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

Tranquility and Vapor Management

This weekend I was deliberate in my Sunday morning church choice knowing that the preaching at Mars Hill Bible Church in Grandville is scriptural, insightful and real. What I needed. (Plus, if you get there early enough you can grab a cup of coffee and a quarter of a bagel.)

In January, Mars Hill began a series on the wisdom literature of Ecclesiastes. Though not a faithful participant of this mega-church’s congregation I was fortunate to hear and learn from sermon one of the series; the poignancy of the symbolism and the lesson still today reverberating in my memory.

Within the last two weeks I’ve gradually become consumed with thoughts, plans and worries so much that a knot was developing in my gut. Unfounded and unnecessary, but present; thus invoking my decision to attend Mars Hill’s exposition of another text from Ecclesiastes.

Rob Bell and the Holy Spirit came through for me.

Without rehashing the sermon for you and doing an injustice to the eloquence and insight of Rob, I’ll just say the knot in my stomach is unwinding as I trust God in my and other’s decisions and rest in the leading of the Spirit as we move forward with perseverance and tranquility.

If you have a few minutes (and if you don’t, you should) please allow yourself opportunity to engage in the homiletical skill of Rob and the convicting exhortation of the Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment