Pages

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Sleighbell Shuffle

I'm not ecstatic about it, but knowingly and unknowingly I've gotten on a number of e-mail distribution lists. It's easy to delete the unwanted ones (98%), so I remain subscribed and appreciate the helpful 2% which do come along.

One of these e-mails was announcing the "Sleighbell Shuffle" a 5k run through the wintry streets of Grandville in subzero temperatures at night. Tell me, who WOULDN'T jump at this opportunity?!

I convinced an equally crazy colleague of mine to join, so we planned to
  1. meet up at the start of the race
  2. obtain our free jingle bells to tie on our laces
  3. donate old winter coats for the local woman's shelter, thus obtaining raffle tickets
  4. run 5k
  5. feast on eggnog and cookies following the race
  6. possibly win something at the raffle
We are quite a team. I accomplished numbers 2, 3 and 6. She accomplished 4 and 5. A very important step is number 1 and this you will be quick to notice both my running partner and I bypassed. Through a series of humourous (to me at least!) events, she ended up running the 5k and I was left behind inside the warm school.

Thirty minutes or so later as the runners came through the school doors, winded and cold, I was shocked to see her. She equally to see me. We shared our stories, which made sense as to how we missed each other when notes were compared and I thought was simply hilarious - my partner, not quite as much.

In the end we did jog about half a mile following her run to sing a Christmas carol to another colleague (and kin) who lives on the route and had kept an eye out for us amidst those who ran, but texted to say they didn't see us for some reason... hmm.

Oh yeah, number 6! This was my prize, which is perhaps a bit unfair since I was the only one present who didn't run...

It's a heart rate monitor - for serious athletes - those who actually do things to make their heart rates go above sedentary.

3 comments:

  1. oh no V! Glad you met up at the end at least...and got cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey V! Cute blog! So, how did you miss the race? sounds funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Ali, it was truly a comedy of errors! I was waiting for my running partner at the entrance of the school where the runners left from. She got there late, pulled into another entrance, saw the group, asked a guy if anyone was left (to which he said 'no'!), and she joined them thinking I must be among them!!

    ReplyDelete