Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Solo Sauna-ing

Particularly now that the weather calls for extra layers, I've tremendously appreciated the sauna available in the women's locker room during my gym visits. Up until today, I was the only person whom I have seen use this 195 degree little room.

After a pitiful but fulfilling workout, I went to check the temperature in the sauna and surprisingly there was someone sitting in there. I was amazed - not so much that someone was there, but more what she was wearing.

I had been introduced to the art of sauna-ing whilst in Prague and this art was enhanced during a trip to Estonia, where I learned how to sauna with the experts. (No, it's not a verb, but I like it.)

The steps to a proper sauna experience are simple: first, you sweat until you think you may die and second, you jump into a freezing cold river nearby and if you haven't had a heart attack, you repeat the process.

Just as the steps to sauna-ing is simple, so is the wardrobe: as little as possible. This surely varies depending on culture and context and comfort. I'll not tell you how you should or shouldn't dress, but I will tell you that I think the woman in the sauna this evening was a bit over dressed:

Okay, so she wasn't actually wearing a snowsuit, but she was very close. Sweatpants, hooded sweatshirt over her t-shirt, socks and shoes... It simply left me in a quandary.

By the time I was ready to join my overly-clothed gym partner in the sauna, she had left. I was quite glad for that fact because I wasn't sure how to greet her or what to say (as an American I am obliged to engage in nonsensical small talk with perfect strangers) whilst we both sweated in the tiny room. Her absence also allowed me to dress as I pleased for a fulfilling sauna conclusion to a very busy but productive day.

Ah, this country of mine. Such a place.

2 comments:

  1. It is absolutely amusing to read your sauna story :))))))))) And I am sooooo proud of you and your expert skills when you introduce the best interpretation of saunaing to the wider world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm honoured, Helle, that as an expert sauna-ist yourself approves of my musings!

    ReplyDelete