Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Woes of the Workless

I've only been officially unemployed in Michigan for 3 1/2 days and perhaps I should be enjoying the unexpected holiday and bask in the lazy glow of responsibilitilessness. But I have this bug which is pinching me to get on with finding activities to give me something to look forward to when I wake in the morning.

Realising that the employers for whose jobs I've applied have yet to recognise the great addition I would make to their workforce, I decided to move forward to see what the state of Michigan could offer someone in my situation.

Thinking that I could have a minimal income during these weeks and possible months of waiting for a job, I decided to look into filing for unemployment benefits. However, because I've not worked in Michigan before, I'm ineligible.

Thinking then that I could help my parents out a bit with food consumption I looked into applying for a special Michigan debit card (a Bridge card) which allows an unemployed person to purchase food (even seeds for growing gardens!) up to a certain amount per month. However, because I live with my parents I'm again ineligible.

Ah, but not to worry! My parents are happy to feed me and I'm happy to eat their food whilst on the job hunt. And I remain in good spirits about what the future may present.

I've also begun exploring possibilities for volunteering within the community and finding random free events for people just like me. This Saturday will be the first adventure, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment