Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

The Motherland

Since college graduation, my closest working colleagues have averaged an age of 20 years older than me. I never minded it and most times quite enjoyed it. My new position at Calvin does not put me in a dissimilar environment.

This recently became evident since I started a new activity of riding my bike to and from work. This is not possible every day for two reasons: 1) Michigan weather is bi-polar and 2) it's 11 miles one way = looong!

My collegial mothers and fathers have expressed concern daily that I be careful, wear sunscreen, a helmet and shoes as I trek my way from Grandville, through Wyoming to South East Grand Rapids.

I do not ride every day, nor is it physically possible at this point. I do need to sleep. I do not have 2 hours every day to give to the commute. I am not excited about getting to work post-11mile bike trip = a good workout!

For now, it's a two day a week plan and I quite like the idea and embodiment of the idea. And yes, to all these mothers and fathers around the world - I do wear my helmet and am very careful crossing the roads.This is a year old photo from last summer when I took a bike trip to a castle in Okor. Yep, this is my helmet which I faithfully wear and the glasses which keep 99% of the bugs out of my eyes.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize you were at Calvin now! How fun that you are back in West Michigan! We should meet up the next time we are around! And way to be a responsible biker with the helmet and glasses do help with the bugs!

    ReplyDelete